Sunday, July 5, 2009

Summer lovin'

I just love these handmade potholders...Reames makes these for teacher gifts and I usually get a few, too. I recently went to an estate sale where the children were selling their mother's home and I opened a drawer in the kitchen to find it stuffed with a bunch of these. SHAME on those children for not taking posession of those hand crafted bits of their childhood. And doesn't it say so much about the mother that kept all those little squares for all those years...I couldn't bring myself to take them out of that house so I gently closed the drawer and said a small prayer as i left that they would stake a claim on them. Besides --having some other child's potholders in my drawer does not mean the same as the ones MY children made.


PS- Will just read my post and definitley does NOT share my sentiments...he says the kids were probably scarred by all the summers they were forced to make those potholders for their mother. So there. Wisdom from Will....and it's free, too!


If you live anywhere South of the Mason Dixon line, you know about Vidalias. They are chiefly grown in a little town in South Georgia...further South than us, even...called...you guessed it...Vidalia, Georgia. And you MUST pronounce the name right if you want to enjoy this wonderful recipe...it's " Viiiiii (emphasis on the loooong 'i') dale ya" .


So, I am going to share my recipe for this awesome summertime treat...cuz you can't get Vidalias all year long. And BTW- I pilfered this recipe from my dear friend, Collins...as I do most of my recipes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vidalia Onion Pie

1 sleeve of Ritz crackers, crushed to crumbs in a ziploc with 4 T melted butter


2 eggs, 3/4 C. milk, 3/4 t. salt, pepper, mixed together in a bowl


2 Vidalia onions (no substitutes!) sliced & sauteed in 2 T. butter until the onions are soft and translucent.


Press the cracker crumbs into a pie plate and layer the onions on top. Pour the egg mixture over the top and sprinkle with 1 C. sharp cheese.


Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.
Oh my goodness..this is so good you'll hide the leftovers (if there are any) to eat for breakfast the next morning!

post signature

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you save me a piece?
I think I see a Reames pot holder under there!!

Goosegirl said...

YUM! We have to seek them out, but we usually find Vidalia onions to buy. Don's sister used to live there and got us all hooked. She used to send us boxes of the onions in the mail! Now, she lives in Hawaii and has sent us Maui Sweet onions but they are NOT THE SAME! My MIL will eat an onion, apple, and peanut butter sandwich when we have the Vidalia onions.

So I am definitely going to surprise her with the recipe.

Thanks Tiffany, and thank you to Collins too!

Sivje

Anonymous said...

Hey Tiffany!

I used to make potholders as a little girl and sell them in the neighborhood for .05!! I loved designing the colors and seeing the finished product. I'm actually looking for a metal loom like I use to have for Anna girl. Seems they are all plastic now...
take care,
hollym.