Friday, January 7, 2011

The Significance of "Here"...


Today is a special day for the Clark Family. It is the day we expanded--the day we welcomed a new member and became 6 strong. It is Ruby's "Chinaversary"...on this day, 3 years ago, we met her for the very first time in person. Of course I had already fallen head over heels for the little girl whose picture I carried EVERYWHERE and showed to EVERYONE! Oh- that picture-of a chubby little girl with a shaved head...I BONDED with that picture and then of course with the curly headed little girl who would be mine. We met on a cold day in Nanjing in a government office in a crowded room full of crying parents and children. It was CHAOS but when I think back - all the noise fades and I see my precious husband tearing up as he coaxes a little girl with an orange dum dum lollipop. I remember that child falling asleep on my chest in the midst of the chaos and I remember feeling like the LUCKIEST woman in the whole wide world.
`
I STILL feel that way...wow...it all comes back.
`
So today- I am dropping the Rubester off in her class and we always kneel and say a quick prayer that she will make good choices...believe me, it's a daily struggle. Heck- it's a minute to minute struggle some days! We've already been talking about why this day is special and as we wrap up the brief intercession with the "Great Overseer of Good Choices", she looks up at me and says, "Mama- I'm so glad I'm here.!"
`
"Oh baby- I'm so glad you're here, too!", I say back.
And she gives me a wise smile and I know she means HERE--on this side of the world...in THIS family--
`
H . E . R . E .

Thankyou, Jesus. My cup runneth over.

post signature

4 comments:

Cindy said...

I am still packing to leave in the morning...I couldn't stand not checking in to blogville..and I read this..and my heart melts..and I say quick prayer for your little darling..I am so glad she is here also!!!!
You are a great mom! I would of been thrilled to have had a mom like you..proud of adoption..not ashamed of it..like it was an after thought.
Your children will be raised loved and knowing they are loved..that is awesome!!

Gotta run..hugs Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham

Kristi said...

H.E.R.E. A wonderful place to be. In the love of a forever family. Happy anniversary of the day she came "here!"

Unknown said...

Hi! A friend sent me a link to your blog post as one that might be good for www.wearegraftedin.com. I am interested in posting a bunch about how different families recognize Gotcha Day anniversaries. Would you allow us to repost this there? I would need you to send me a bio and a picture to use with your bio. Let me know!
Kelly
Kelly@wearegraftedin.com

Bringing our little Emporer home said...

oh Ruby....such a doll! Jake loves her and tells everyone how cute she is and is still amazed that you guys have the gall to reprimand her! He loves when she'd do something naughty and then get that cute grin and little laugh. We're so glad our girls have brought us all together...what an amazing travel group we had and I'm so thankful not only for my sweet pea but for the extended "family" we have!!! love you all
Liz