The older my kids get the more I am amazed at the depth of perception and clarity they have on issues that often perplex me. Maybe I don't give myself enough credit on raising them right but I know deep down that this sense they have for the logical really comes from God and is really only found in children. They just know how to keep it simple. We, as grownups, just think we know it all and have to "consider all the aspects" of a situation. Really? Do we really? Doesn't God equip us with what we need and often times we just make it harder?
Case in point- my oldest child, a 14 year old son getting ready to enter high school, had a scholarship interview recently for a private high school in our community. Among the questions he was asked was one I highly disagreed with and thought was inappropriate. None the less- he was the one in the hot seat and had to give a poised answer...on the spot. Difficult, sure, but he handled it with grace and showed me how deep his understanding of our family is. The question was, "Tell us something you dislike about your family." Wow! He tried to skirt the question by replying that he really had a great family- no complaints but the interviewer kept on and asked, "There must be something you don't like?" Always the people pleaser and feeling pressured to give SOME KIND OF ANSWER, my sweet son says, "Yeah- I guess the fact that my family is in the process to adopt a little boy from China is gonna bring a new dynamic into our lives. I'm really gonna hate being away from them for the 2 weeks it takes to travel and bring him home."
So- this is our 2nd special needs adoption from China- we've all been there done that. Kinda know what's coming...some sleepless nights, possible attachment issues, various types of therapies, doctor visits, etc. And all he is worried about is all of us being split up for a few weeks. And you know what? He's right on the money- he knows God brought us TO this adoption...and He will bring us THROUGH it...And when it comes down to it...I have a peace about what we are about to embark on in bringing home Grady. But I do dread being away from my tight knit little crew. This is not a topic I've discussed with this child-or any of them. We've had many talks about what to expect when we are home with the new kidlet and how life will look but Adams just broke it all down to one simple thing. We are gonna be apart--and then we'll be back together again--and it will all work out.
Oh- to have that simple trust and faith all the time.
That is my prayer in the coming months.
PS- he WAS offered that scholarship but politely declined in favor of a state top rated public high school that offers AP courses and upper level Spanich classes to Freshmen...as well as the atmosphere he was looking for...wish I'd had that kind of wisdom when I was 14.
'OBX schoolcation' {respect for the Wrights}
5 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment