Thursday, August 27, 2009

Chinese Culture Quilt


Grady is a pig in the Chinese zodiac

title page in the scrapbook


a scrapbook page about Guangxi- Grady's province


close up detail


the back of the quilt

big sister is waiting

a corner
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we were paper pregnant with Ruby, I passed the time by collecting swatches and good wishes from friends to make into a Bai Jie Bei (100 Good Wishes Quilt) and scrapbook for Ruby. This time around--I'm just not one to repeat the same project all over again but I still want Grady to have his own special quilt. It's funny- I began this before we were even thinking about adopting again...and even while I worked on it, I would ask myself why I was doing it...who was it for, when would I give it to Ruby???...Turns out--it wasn't for Ruby and God knew we would not have time this go round to collect all those swatches and make a quilt so he had me do it ahead of time, and with a twist.



This quilt is like and "I Spy China" game, snuggly blanket, and culture lesson all wrapped up into one package. Each corner has a different Chinese character representing love, dream, happiness, & faith. There are also MANY different pieces of fabric and each represents a different facet of Chinese culture...from bats to chopsticks. There is also a scrapbook to go along with it and explain all of the different fabrics. The book has sections on zodiac, Chinese provinces, and cultural lore.
It still needs a binding but I am thrilled that Grady has his own quilt and amazed at how God was working in Gradys and our lives even before we knew about eachother...



post signature

5 comments:

Heather said...

Ok, so I will pay you for a quilt for me to give to Maddie one day. Wow...that is beautiful!!!

Love, Heather

Angela said...

Beautiful quilt and beautiful story to it!! :)

I posted this over at BLOOM but I thought I'd come to your site and look you up here too!! :)

A dear friend of mine just moved to Columbus, GA!!! Her husband is a military man and they have two girls-- one teenager and one sweet elementary aged girl they adoped from China not too long ago! I just had to reply because I know she is looking and praying for Godly women! Write me if you want and I'll try to put you in touch with her if you are interested! awsweeny@hotmail.com Take care! Angela

virtuous venture said...

I love your scrapbook and quilt you are creating for Grady! They are both beautiful! He is so loved!!! xoxox

Unknown said...

How great that you are doing this. Super cute blog btw. I am following you from MBC.

you can check my blog out at http://stayhomeandplay.blogspot.com

Veronica Lee said...

Hi! I'm visiting from MBC. Great blog.