Saturday, August 16, 2008

Back to school...one week down!




New shoes and school supplies have been bought and uniforms ironed ( who am I kiddin'--I don't iron) and hung in the closet.


It's official...


We're back in the swing and I must say it is a joyous feeling to have a routine again. I get so much more done when we HAVE to get up in the morning and get dressed before noon. Don't get me wrong...when summer finally rolls around after a long school year, I am READY to don my "Director" hat for Camp Mommy and enjoy a little freedom. It also gives me a chance to try out my home school skills since I am a closet home schooler and am secretly jealous of my friends who choose this way to educate their kids. We just can't...not because I couldn't handle it (I think I could do it) but because my kids really have great school situations and they are blooming right where God has planted them for the moment.


As for being back in the swing...we just thrive. I am blessed with smart, FUNNY children. They all love their teachers and actually do their homework without a lot of hassle. We try really hard to keep our extra curricular activities to a minimum so that we can have a bonified family life. The activities we won't give up are actually pretty family friendly so we end up spending a lot of time together (scouts, tennis, etc) It's all a matter of priorities and learning to say "No, thank you!" I have a real pet peeve about people who complain bitterly all through a sports season that it is eating up their lives. JUST SAY NO! Who is your master? soccer? baseball? cheerleading? or God? If an activity REALLY enriched your life...would you complain about it?


OK- I'll step down off my soap box...


BUT IF I HAVE TO TELL RC TO WEAR A BELT OR SOCKS WITH HIS NEW TENNIS SHOES ONE MORE TIME...I WILL...WELL....I'M ALREADY SCREAMING. (I've already confiscated his new shoes for a week to teach him a lesson.)


I LOVE the community I live in. I don't mean Columbus as a whole so much as the Midtown neighborhood, schools, church, and friends we are living our lives in/with/around. (I like Columbus, too) We live in an area that boasts one of the last remaining "neighborhood schools" where the kids can actually ride bikes and walk to school and friend's houses. We even walk to the grocery store and out to eat dinner at a variety of eateries. I love that the moms all stand around in the school yard chatting as we wait for our kids to come out and that we can ride our bikes to nana's house. (Which we don't do often enough...but we COULD!!)


After ALL this rambling..I think it's rather obvious that I am due for a little "me time"...what do ya think? LE stars mmo next week and I'm going to get a pedicure.


ahhhhhhh



post signature

2 comments:

Carley P said...

I hear your kids really like their art teacher! :) I want to see pictures of Ruby's first day too.

...another good thing about your neighborhood is that you are walking distances to the fabric store.

Carley P said...

I'm commenting again because I don't have your email address. I have you made all of the stuff on your tutorial links? What about the shoulder bag? I love bags/purses but I am el cheapo and don;t like to purchase them. SO if you have made it was it pretty easy (easy ennough for me) and if you haven't made one we can make one together--like the shirt dress. You can bethe coach.
THanks for stopping by this morning, It does make my day--but it also makes me want to go play and not work!!:)