Tuesday, September 11, 2012

I got a rock...

Anybody remember that line from Charlie Brown?...he was all dejected because everyone else had gotten a special treat and all he got was a rock.

Well- I'm not dejected...in fact...who knew you could be so pleased about receiving a rock in the mail?  ME!!!!

On every trip to China, I have been ever so careful to be sure and pick up a rock from my children's province...something tangible that I can say without a doubt is from the place where we met...it is Chinese in every way.

Somehow- I forgot to do that in Wuhan.
{Gulp}
  But my friend Stephanie traveled just after me to Wuhan for her gorgeous baby girl, Tallulah...and she was gracious enough to pick up a rock for me and bring it home.

It came in the mail yesterday and I was thrilled to add it to the shelf of Chinese rocks we have collected.

The note she sent explained that the rock came from just outside the Civil Affairs building where much construction is going on...so indicative of Wuhan where many buildings are being torn down and new ones going up each day.

My rock looks like a chunk of concrete...it could have come from anywhere...but it came from my daughter's homeplace...a place of history, renewal. culture, and progress....Willa's place --where I hope to take her back to one day and let her see it for herself.

Thanks, Stephanie for helping me releive my guilt and cross this off my list!

Tiffany

1 comment:

Jolene said...

What a great idea and I so wish I'd remembered to have my husband do that but he is on his way home soon! We usually grab a rock or two from every vacation I'm so surprised I didn't think of it this time!