Sunday, August 12, 2012

Clubbed Foot Relapse?


I realize this picture doesn't reveal much...but it was the first inkling we had to be on the lookout for a relapse in Grady's clubbed feet correction. This was taken in May but just last week we caught video footage of him where it is more evident that his right foot is beginning to turn in. The biggest signs we were told to look for were walking on the toes and outer edge of the foot. He is definitely doing that, although he hasn't begun to complain--he is stumbling a bit more.  I haven't focused much on the left foot--nothing obvious going on there but we'll see what Dr. Khoury in Birmingham says tomorrow when we visit.

I realize we could have probably headed to the doctor sooner--and I may regret that we didn't but at the time...we were just home with a new daughter from China...Grady's vocabulary and personality was blossoming (& I didn't want to stunt that)...and I hated the idea of him being in casts through a long, hot, GA Summer.
I've place these pictures and video on my blog in hopes of helping out any other clubbed foot families out there.  I know how helpful it is to me to read about other children who have gone through this and to see pictures of their treatment.

For posterity's sake I will post the details of his treatment...
Grady came home from China in July 2010 with bilateral clubbed feet...
no repair or correction until we had him.  He was walking on the tops of his feet which were turned over and faced nearly backwards.
August 9, 2010- first set of casts...bilateral clubbed feet
Early October- tendon release surgery on both feet
Late October 2010--last set--12 sets in all. (Right foot very stubborn thruout)
all of November 2010--24 hour bar/shoes
December 2010- January 2012--12-14 hours a day of bar/shoes (& we were diligent with this)
February 2012--out of all orthotics...first saw tiny sign of relapse in late May


This video is very dark in the beginning but stick with it...
this is the footage that convinced us to call the doctor.

I can tell you we are anxious about what Dr. Khoury will say tomorrow...but ready to get on with it.  There are many possibilities and options but we'll follow his advice.  We could come home with no casts and just new shoes/bar for nighttime or daily wear, casts to the hip on one or both legs and a wheelchair, walking casts on one or both legs, a tendon release surgery plan, etc.  Who knows?   

I'll keep you posted.


post signature

3 comments:

Me said...

Thank you for posting. It gives us something to watch for. Thanks.

Bridgette said...

I'm not sure if you read Ni Hao Y'all, but her son Jude is having treatment for a relapse. Just thought I'd pass along the link in case you haven't seen it. Stefanie might be able to give you feedback along the way since they are also working through a clubbed foot relapse.

Here is a link: http://nihaoyall.com/category/jude

Pruiksma's Progress said...

Thinking about you girl!! I thought about calling you tonight with an update but never got around to it. Surgery has been postponed to Sept so she can have multiple proceedures done under one sedation sitting. We had an OT eval and she will now start OT once a week plus the speech 2x a week. Praying for you guys!!