but let's just call it what it is...
BRIBERY
My Ruby has had a problem lately with tearing up books. She's 4 1/2 and KNOWS better...but she also knows this is a great way to get my attention since I am an avid reader and book lover. I think she has chosen this particular bad habit for a couple of reasons...the sensory part of tearing paper must feel good to her but also she likes to play teacher and will often tear book pages into neat squares about the size of index cards. With these she pretends all her classmates names are written on them and she "picks a leader"...something her real life teacher began every day with.
It's driving me CRAZY.
But I know it is a cry for attention so we came up with a plan...if she can go 5 days in a row with no book tearing, she will get to take the new dressup gown down off of the refrigerator and WEAR IT!!!!! See, we went to the toy store last night in desperation to find Ruby's "BUTTON"...something that would serve as a concrete reminder to follow this one rule.
So- we are working on this one behavior---I don't care if she sneaks her sister's bubble gum, or bosses her little brother...well- I care but THIS is what we're working on for now.
I'm sure we'll have another lesson next week. Please pray I have the patience and Ruby gets what she needs from me in the way of encouragement, extra hugs, sweet praise, and lovin'.
No comments:
Post a Comment