Man- this post has come far too soon for my liking. I swear it was just last week that my first born was a curly headed, blue eyed cherub running around the fountain at St. Luke church.
And now he's a big handsome man child hanging out in the courtyards of Columbus High.
How.
Did.
That.
Happen?
He has adjusted amazingly well to high school...his classes, his grades, the homework, the football practice, his friends, his social life.
His social life...huh? Yes- he suddenly has a social life. Even if certain mean girls at lunch ask him "Do you even have a life?" as he's showing off his newest talent for solving a 4x4 rubik's cube.
My son is a geek. There. I said it.
Don't get me wrong- he's very handsome and tall and into sports and all that stuff. But he also gets really excited about a graphing calculator, conquering a new piano piece, solving a rubik's cube, foreign languages, water skiing, camping, the Math club and on and on and on. He's extremely mulit-faceted. and smart....and he loves Jesus.
And that just ain't any cooler now than it was when you and I were in high school. at least it ain't cool to the nimrods who populate public high schools these days. I propose we make being a geek, cool. You and I both know that the stuff that makes a kid a geek in 9th grade is the stuff of successful, fulfilled lives when they are grown. So could someone draft a memo...even better - a text...let that mean "popular" kid at lunch know that popular ain't where it's at--and if you use all your " juice" up in high school--what's left for later?
But- he is also wise beyond his years and while he suffers somewhat for his "uncoolness"--he seems to know that it's better in the long run to be a geek. He's making THAT cool...in his own way. And he doesn't seem to need my lectures on staying the course, being independent, doing his own thing. He just seems to know that what he's doing with his life right now, matters, right now. And he's not wasting THIS time.
Man- I know a lot of grown ups who still don't have their heads on straight...who are still following the crowd or keeping up with the Jones'...who are wasting time.
Letting go has been a little easier than I thought it would be...He's made it easier.
And now he's a big handsome man child hanging out in the courtyards of Columbus High.
How.
Did.
That.
Happen?
He has adjusted amazingly well to high school...his classes, his grades, the homework, the football practice, his friends, his social life.
His social life...huh? Yes- he suddenly has a social life. Even if certain mean girls at lunch ask him "Do you even have a life?" as he's showing off his newest talent for solving a 4x4 rubik's cube.
My son is a geek. There. I said it.
Don't get me wrong- he's very handsome and tall and into sports and all that stuff. But he also gets really excited about a graphing calculator, conquering a new piano piece, solving a rubik's cube, foreign languages, water skiing, camping, the Math club and on and on and on. He's extremely mulit-faceted. and smart....and he loves Jesus.
And that just ain't any cooler now than it was when you and I were in high school. at least it ain't cool to the nimrods who populate public high schools these days. I propose we make being a geek, cool. You and I both know that the stuff that makes a kid a geek in 9th grade is the stuff of successful, fulfilled lives when they are grown. So could someone draft a memo...even better - a text...let that mean "popular" kid at lunch know that popular ain't where it's at--and if you use all your " juice" up in high school--what's left for later?
But- he is also wise beyond his years and while he suffers somewhat for his "uncoolness"--he seems to know that it's better in the long run to be a geek. He's making THAT cool...in his own way. And he doesn't seem to need my lectures on staying the course, being independent, doing his own thing. He just seems to know that what he's doing with his life right now, matters, right now. And he's not wasting THIS time.
Man- I know a lot of grown ups who still don't have their heads on straight...who are still following the crowd or keeping up with the Jones'...who are wasting time.
Letting go has been a little easier than I thought it would be...He's made it easier.

2 comments:
AWWW...Tiff, what a beautiful post! all your children are so sweet, wonderful and just wonderfully well adjusted! It's all got to do with the love, acceptance and support they get from their parents and that takes them far in life! I'm glad he's true to his inner "nerd" and will continue to love himself!!!
Your a wonderful mom and your posts always reveal how much you love your children and just how proud you are of each of them (yes, even the poo on the casts showed your love!!! LOL)
Love ya
Liz
Thanks for that post!! My son, Ryan, just started H.S. also and although he isn't really into playing sports, he sounds a lot like your son. It is hard letting go and letting them make their own decision but it is also cool to see how mature they can really by and how they stand for their own beliefs. I also agree with the "popular" ones needing to just step aside and leave these mature guys alone.
Post a Comment