Not a day passes that I don't get a well meaning comment regarding my Asian kiddos---either regarding the fact that we actually adopted a BOY from China OR the fact that they look so much alike--am I SURE they're not biologically related?
Ok- I'll admit- the comments are not always well meaning. Sometimes they are insensitive and rude. They go something like this:
insensitive, rude dufus-"You're kids are sooo adorable. Are they related?" (in syrupy, sweet, oh-so-sincere voice)
me--"Yep--brother and sister." (Well- duh?!?!)
insensitive, rude dufus-"No- I mean REALLY related?" (Hmm why do you ask?)
me--"They are now." (get a clue--are they REALLY asking this IN FRONT OF my kids?)
insensitive, rude dufus-"But are they biologically brother & sister?"
Come on--this is just nosy and incredibly wrong to ask in front of a child...and sometimes I answer honestly and sometimes I ask why they want to know and sometimes I just roll my eyes and walk away.
I just don't have all my responses gelled in my mind yet but the longer I am home with my 2 precious critters- I'm getting better about knowing how to answer and educate people appropriately. Sure- there are folks who are plainly curious and want to be supportive or want to understand the process and then there are folks who just want to KNOW--they are rude and want the information because they are just plain NOSY and have no clue that they are being divisive and hurtful to my children. or do they just need to bolster their own sense of self esteem by discounting MY children's relationships? Is this some way of convincing themselves they are in some way superior?
But there will come a day when Ruby no longer remembers clearly the time we were gone to China to bring home her brother--she won't remember a time when she and Grady were not together. They are so TOGETHER now--and I am shown daily how perfect God's plan was in bringing these 2 little people together. But how will she feel to have a complete stranger asking such personal questions in the middle of the Publix produce section?
I've heard almost everything regarding my choices in growing my family...I say ALMOST because humanity never ceases to amaze me in its idiocy. (like the time some bumkin asked if I was going to teach Ruby to speak "'Merican"?) And most adoptive families can relate and we chuckle for the most part at the ignorance we encounter daily. It's usually benign but the older my children get, the less willing I am to share their personal stories. My children have rights to privacy and the idea that a stranger thinks they are privy to details just because they are obviously adopted is just plain dumb and disrespectful.
Here's how I KNOW Ruby & Grady are TRULLY related...please fell free to add your own to the list:
--they alternately hug and smack eachother in love & frustration routinely--and that means they often smack eachother in love AS WELL AS hug eachother in frustration
--they are teammates in mischief around my house.
--they MUST kiss and hug before leaving eachother or when greeting after being apart
--they holler their undying devotion whenever they catch a glimpse of eachother in the hallways or on the playground of their shared preschool.
--they share popsicles, cookies, juice, m&m's, etc
--they fight over popsicles, cookies, juice, m&m's, etc.
--they know eachother's quirks and weaknesses--like how to make G'man stop crying and what the other sleeps with at night for comfort
--Ruby plays the big sister/mama bear well. She tries to change his diaper, carry him around, douse him with deoderant, and place my contact lenses in his eyes. (I don't know why) and they are only a few pounds apart in weight.
--they will have eachother to share life experiences with and frustrations over their crazy parents when we are old.
I have a brother--and we are TIGHT- and these are just a few things that make us close and irreparably related. He has driven me crazy at times (crazy enough to scrub our shared toilet with his toothbrush when we were teenagers) but no matter what--he's mine and I'm his and that's such a cool feeling...the feeling of BELONGING. Isn't that the feeling we should ALL have when we are brothers and sisters in Christ--isn't that what a relationship with God offers? So that's all I want for my children. To belong to me, eachother, and most importantly- God. THAT kind of BELONGING surpasses genes, blood, & biology.
'OBX schoolcation' {respect for the Wrights}
5 years ago
6 comments:
In all honesty..he just handled it wrong! My cousin who adopted from Russia..was able to get a bro and sister..4 yrs apart. If I ask I say..I know that they are sibilings now..by chance were they in China.So far nobody has ever been reactive..because believe me..I would pick up on it. I also try not to ask in front of the kids and I never ask just because...We are usually sitting in a Dr's office killing time..or in a line at a park..waiting..and waiting..a few comments and then some occasional questions..just general talk. I find that most moms want to tell the story of the adoption..so maybe you and I are more private than others..lol
Cindy from Rick-Rack and Gingham
Cindy- that is THE MOST graceful way to ask that question I have ever heard. Unfortunatley- it's never been asked that way to me. If it were- I know I would react gracefully in return. I LOVE to share the story of my blessing but YOU know when someone is not being JUST curious--we have so much in common in our thinking! BTW- praying for your spirit this week!
I know mine are related because Kylie can translate both "Calebese" and "Darcy-speak" without batting an eye.
I know they are related because if someone messes with either of his sisters, Caleb tells them to buggar off and then comes to me for back up.
I know they are related because they are the Three Muskateers ~ all for one and one for all.
I know mine are related because when one leaves for camp the other two are, initally, soooooo thrilled. It takes about 48 hours for them to start moping around the house! :)
I would simply answer, why yes they are siblings...aren't we blessed!
If they keep up the idiotic questions simply tell them that they are twins who are 2 and 3 years old...smile and walk away. Or....tell them that Grady is Russian and Ruby is from England.
My all time favorite is...oh, you adopted your dgt from China when she was over 4 years and deaf. Can she speak Chinese....I answer, of course she can, just not English. I have also had people look at my georgeous, Asian dgt and ask if "her Daddy is Asian." Yeah, idiot, that beautiful girl is only 1/2 Asian....the rest is blonde/green eyed like me. :) :)
Oh the comments/questions from strangers! My fav was when an older woman asked me if my two toddlers-at-the-time were twins! One is my bio son who is as blonde as they come with big blue eyes and the other child with me at that moment was my first adopted dd from China. Sure they are the same size, but the physical similarities stop there. I was so dumbfounded that she asked, I don't think I even answered!
I posted about the exact same thing a couple of weeks ago. It does get aggravating, especially in front of the kids. Do they think that they cannot hear and have no feelings?
On another note, I am an adoptee and I still get rude comments and questions.I have just learned to brush it off and I hope my 2 adopted sweeties can do the same one day.
I try to remind myself that it is my job to bring about more awareness in a kind and gentle manner. But, I will say that I sometimes have to bite my tongue really hard! :)
Post a Comment