These are the only pair of "shoes" he's ever had- a gift from the Barcelos family. And this was the last time he will ever wear them. They have been stored away in a special box of momentos for when Grady is older.
and these are 2 1/2 year old "virgin" clubbed feet--never been treated.
casting was unpleasant but didn't last long.
Grady was NOT playing Peek a Boo---he was very distraught at being "handled" by the cast guys--who were very adept and gentle, btw.~
~
We had our first visit with the pediatric orthopeadist this past Monday in Birmingham. It was a 3 hour drive. On MaggieRuth's 11th birthday. And Adams' 1st day of high school.
~
It was a BIG day.
~
We have faith in the doctors--they seem sincere and excited about working with Grady to help him to walk and run easier. Grady was not so excited but we elected to go ahead and begin casting on our very first visit. Mags picked the cast colors--black & purple-- since it was her birthday. Not sure about the significance of those colors but it was her choice. He cannot walk in them or bathe, or swim. And he's a few pounds heavier. But all in all- he is handling them well--some sadness during the actual casting but none since and he will start preschool next week--in double casts. Not sure what that will look like but we are going to try it out anyway--his teachers are willing and can't wait to have him. I can't wait to see his language develop.
~
We will head back to Birmingham every Monday for the next few months- at least. There may be some minor surgery in Grady's future but we are going to take a wait and see approach and let the casting do most of the work for now.
~
There is A LOT going on around here right now--both emotionally & physically but we are holding on and praying for peace and calm as we settle into this new routine. Grady and Ruby are getting along famously and if 2 Chinese toddlers weren't eyecatching and comment causing--believe me when I tell you that the casts draw MUCH commentary when we are out and about. Always entertaining! I will miss his sweet crooked feet but I can't wait to see the day when he runs and wears normal shoes. I don't think he will GET the significance until he is much older. In China- he would NEVER have received treatment--but then had he been born with straight feet- he would not have been abandoned and therefore would not be here with us. So- right now I thank God for clubbed feet because I can't imagine my family without this little ray of sunshine that is Grady.
PS- Any votes on the next 2 cast colors?

5 comments:
Your post made me cry. What a wonderful gift God has given you guys and what wonderful parents God has given your children.
Still looking forward to meeting soon!
Steph
I like orange and blue for his next casts....but you know that's because I'm a diehard GATOR fan. ;)
You know, when we were in China to bring Caleb home (and again with Madeline), I looked around at all the men and boys and couldn't stop thanking God for my son's SN! He wouldn't be my son otherwise. So I know EXACTLY how you feel!
Hey Tiffany!
Thinking of you all and praying for sweet boys cast to do what there meant to do!!
My vote is for red and green casts to keep Grady on his toes whether to stop or go!!:)
Enjoy the rest of your summer days with your treasures!
Take care,hollym.:)
Navy and Old Gold :) Your writings about your journey are truly amazing and inspirational..ALMOST as amazing and inspirational as the journey itself!
I would like to see Orange and Blue as Eva does. However I would like to smash the the Gator. Waaaaa...ar Eagle!
Post a Comment