Thursday, July 15, 2010

Home Sweet Home!


An excerpt from our Travel Blog:


We've been home 6 days now and I doubt anyone is reading this journal now that the travel part of our journey has come to an end but I wanted to add a few more pictures of our first few days at home before signing off and moving my random ramblings back home to our regular family blog.


The first day back was hard- sleep was crazy, the children needed some serious lovin', and Grady was just plain overwhelmed. He cried. A lot. And the other kids had a hard time understanding his sadness. It was profound...although I have never heard that same deep keening that I heard on the day we first met him...it was close to that. And when you are in the midst of someone's grieving--it's hard to be rational and see the light at the end of the tunnel...Heck- there doesn't seem to BE a tunnel--just a whole lot of darkness.So we muddled through that first day or so...then the big boys left for summer camp...but Grady's outlook seems to improve and we are all getting better. We went to visit the boys at the family campfire last night and Grady was unsure with them...as is to be expected. He probably thinks they were just 2 other new friends who met us at the airport.. He doesn't have a clue that they will become a part of his daily life very soon. And they can't wait.


I won't sugar coat this--well, at least not too heavily. Our homecoming has been emotionally draining. So many little people who need extra cuddles and time to chat uninterrupted with a parent who is actually AWAKE...And the sleep deprivation...the testy little toddlers...and the sleep deprivation...the bonding process with a tough little man...and the sleep deprivation...having to jump right back into the regular routine...with little sleep... the toddler daughter who was a baby when I left for China but somehow mysteriously GREW UP (GASP!) while I was gone!... and the jet lag...I drove Grady to a dr's appointment this week that I barely remember and DO NOT remember driving home from. Scary. But there are glimpses of peace and calm and I really appreciate how well we are all doing in the light of what could have been...screaming and night terrors, undisclosed Special Needs, serious medical issues not prepared for...we are happily and thankfully NOT having to deal with any of this...


Grady is perfectly healthy it seems with the exception of his clubbed feet...and he handles that so well I sometimes forget about them. And then I remember and just kiss them all over...a day will come when I can't remember what they looked like right now- when they are repaired and he is easily running around after his sister. They are the MOST PRECIOUS little tootsies you've EVER seen...and his strength and perseverance in walking on them despite the discomfort amazes me. It is no wonder he is so strong willed and unflappable...HE amazes me. And our God amazes me in the gifts He has given this little man who has to learn how to be a little boy now that he has a family of his own.


Many have asked "How is he doing?"--Grady is remarkable but I guess he has always HAD to be to survive what he has in his short little life. He is sleeping in his own room although he would love it if Will slept with him all night every night..not happenin'. And he is mostly sleeping through the night--with a few potty calls in the wee hours. No bad dreams...no night terrors. Very peaceful. He IS potty trained--amazing. He takes a gloriously long nap every afternoon...gotta love that! He PLAYS with Ruby--which just makes my heart sing and it is so much fun to see them giggle together. He is bonded to Will- and loves big sister Mags...I'm starting to think he must have REALLY loved his foster mother and is not ready to let me take her place yet. He does let me hold him and take care of his needs...he tests me with his behavior and I've drawn the line in the sand for him...he gives me a smile here and there ( and the whole world lights up), no crying at the sight of me. He does NOT come to me for affection or security, yet. He will...and while I wish we were DONE with this phase and we were instantly bonded- I know it will come and I will relish the hugs he gives me freely. We are good- healthy.


I can't say enough about the prayers and encouragement we received while in China...it was a barren land in so many ways and we were REFRESHED daily when we read our emails and guestbook comments...and then to come home to the paparazzi at the airport. AMAZING! We have been blessed beyond measure.


Thank you to the folks who call us friends & family. You bless us with your presence in our lives.




post signature

3 comments:

Laura said...

I know life has to be crazy right now, but I do thank you for the post! I am praying, praying, praying for everyone! You all are amazing and God is smiling down on you!

Love,
Laura

Rachel said...

Thank you for the honesty! It is so helpful to really hear about the adjustments coming home. I am relieved that Grady has no other SNs...that is a fear of mine.
Good luck. I'm so happy for you!
Rachel

Anonymous said...

I know this has been a tough week. I'm excited to meet Grady, but I want to give your family time to settle in. I'll be calling soon.
Glad yall are home safely!
Collins