Thursday, January 7, 2010

I love presents...and thankyou Aunt Vickie



My Aunt Vickie has really neat taste...I love her taste in clothes, the way her house is decorated, her fabulous accessories collection...and you would NOT believe her closet and the many pairs of precious shoes she has--all stored in their original shoe boxes...(see, you didn't think I noticed did you, Aunty Vee?) She and my Aunt Katrina got the fashion thing goin' on! You should see Aunt Katrina's closet... I could move IN! They came by their wonderful classy taste honestly. I can remember my grandmother "Mom" with her long manicured red fingernails, beehive hairdoo, puttin' on her "face" for a night out at the Shrine Club. I would sit on her toilet (with the lid down, of course) in her bathroom wallpapered in gold butterflies and watch her get dressed for the evening. I was absolutely fascinated by her eyelash curler!!! And then when she headed for the closet to don some wonderful confection...I would get lost in the SHOES!!! She had the most beautiful shoe collection and they would be 30 years old, some of them...come back in style for the 2nd and 3rd time. And some nights she would let me rifle through her costume jewelry after she had left for Bingo at the club. I would sit for hours trying on her pop beads and Avon hand lotion...and sneaking the Whitman's chocolates she kept in her bedside table. This woman taught me about grace and class and spunk. I remember going yard saling one time with her and buying my first vintage costume jewelry...my very own popbeads. Oh the memories...
But- I have really digressed.
So, I go to pick up my boys from their weekly fly tying lesson with their Big Daddy and there is a gift waiting for me from My Aunt Vickie (my dad, Vickie, Katrina, & Wayne are all siblings). I vaguely remember her saying she had something for Grady. So- we thank BigD and head on home. I'm standing in the kitchen opening this box on this wonderful day (Ruby's family day & Grady's DTC day) and the first thing I see on the box is "Made in China"--surprise, surprise. But how apropos. And then I open it and SQUEEAAL in delight. I love it...it is perfect and I don't know if I can stand to leave it in Grady's room...I think I have to move it to the den where I can stare at it for awhile.
You have topped off a wonderful day perfectly! I will always look at this piece and remember this day...and Mom...and you and Aunt Katrina's closets. I know- my brain is funny that way!
Thankyou!

post signature

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tif!

That is the sweetest gift I've seen in a while!! Enjoy! And all of your good memories, too!
takecare,
hollym.