Don't you love these? I think they are the precursor to LE's first pair of "Ruby Slippers". This precious pair of sparkle shoes came from a new friend at preschool/church.
I am starting to realize that LE is going to be a petite thing (ya think?). Seeing her in class with 11 other kiddos puts it all in perspective...she's tiny (fat, but tiny). After all my other 'off the growth chart' kids, it sure is refreshing to have one on the other end. LE is average on the Chinese growth charts (although we know she weighed just under 9 pounds at birth which is HUGE for an Asian child!) but NOW she is well under average on the American growth chart. (I didn't even realize there were different charts for every country until we adopted LE) But their is no cause for alarm-- she is just going to be shorter than her classmates. (But from what the teachers tell me...she is a spunky, tough little thing!)
The other day she was bitten at preschool and she just stood there and took it. No tears. She's TOUGH, my girl. A few days before that SHE was the biter--apparently someone had gotten in her face to give her a kiss...she bit him on the cheek! Her teachers tell me she defends herself pretty well, sometimes overcompensating for her small stature. Most of the kids want to "love" on her cute little self and she will have no part of it...pushing them away or hugging them back a little TOO hard. They ask me if my other children are this way...
no.
--My other children did not have to share a crib and blanket with another baby as infants.
--My other children did not have to share a bowl of cereal with a room full of other children.
--My other children were nurtured and encouraged to explore and be curious while LE was confined to a room with all SN kids (many of whom were desperately mentally challenged and ignored)
--My other children were stimulated with walks outdoors and visits to the park-LE NEVER stepped foot out of the orphanage until the day they drove her 4 hours away to meet her daddy and I (strangers). Can you imagine?
--My other children were stimulated with walks outdoors and visits to the park-LE NEVER stepped foot out of the orphanage until the day they drove her 4 hours away to meet her daddy and I (strangers). Can you imagine?
--My other children had freedom of movement to roll, crawl, creep, and walk all over the house exploring. LE never left her crib and did not even sit up until we got her (she was 1 year, 1 week old at the time)AND LE was bundled up in so many layers of clothing (no heat in the orphanage) that she only "found" her hands for the first time after we got her back to the hotel room and undressed her. ( I have the coolest photos of her staring at her hands in wonderment)
--My other children were touched. just simply touched. LE lay in her crib ignored so long that her head is flat on the back...and it always will be. A reminder of where she started.
--My other children had their parents staring into their eyes and telling them how beautiful and loved they were from their first minutes on this earth. No one made purposeful eyecontact with LE until the day I held her and told her how much I loved her and how long I had waited for her.
--And...my other children did not have to charm and beguile me to give them attention, food, hugs, toys....love. LE had to work extremely hard to survive in an institution where there was only 1 caregiver for every 10 - 15 babies (many who were special needs)
For a little girl who had to survive 372 days without a mama and a papa, she is amazing....
BUT...LE (along with the other 3) has me thanking Jesus many times a day for blessing me so richly.
2 comments:
LE is precious and perfect and wonderful! While our she shares the "flat head" club with Ahnalin, she does not share the stature. We are a family of short people with a very tall Chinese Ahnalin. You are a tall family with a tiny LE. I find this to be soooo funny! It cracks me up that people look and Ahnalin and then look at the rest of the family and ask "where did she get her height?". I just laugh because I wonder if they realize there are other differences as well.
But our girls are perfect! All of them. My Ahnalin is tough too! No one will ever take advantage of my girl, or ignore her again. Our girls are beautiful, smart survivors.
I love reading about your kiddos my friend. You are a sister of the heart.
In His Grace,
Sivje
LOVE the slippers....
K
Post a Comment