Thursday, July 24, 2008

This one's for you, Sivje!! (sorry it's not your size)



I have almost finished this tuck dress for LE but it still needs hemming and buttons...BUT... my dear friend, Sivje (sounds like C V) in California just couldn't wait any longer so Ta dah!!! ( I haven't even ironed it yet!)
The symbols are LE's Chinese name...YinHe...in Mandarin, they mean Silver or Gentle River. This is the name she was given by the nannies in her orphanage...I think it is so beautiful and thought provoking. I can think of a million scenarios for why they chose it but I won't get to know the real story for a long time yet. I look forward to hearing the story...
I embroidered them by hand but I think I will have the characters digitized so that I can monogram them on things. I definitely want her to be able to write her name and be able to pronounce it correctly. (It has a funny pronunciation). I can't wait to hear her say her own name.
So--I hope it was worth the wait, Sivje...I've got more dresses in the que.


post signature

1 comment:

Goosegirl said...

Thank you !!! This little dress is sooooo precious! I love it! I agree about digitizing the name. I wish I had that capacity, but I may try to order one of Ahnalin's Chinese name. The first part, Fu, is common as it means "happiness or luck" but the others may be harder to find.

But I just love this dress. I will definitely have to make some for my girly.

Oh, and Ahnalin tells people her Chinese name and pronounces it pretty well. I am sure she will tell her new cousin from China her Chinese name. We see them tomorrow!!!!

Thanks Tiff, ok back to sewing for me.